Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rich

T-Rex 450

6 posts in this topic

Well, despite how much RC helicopters are a bit scary, I'm still fascinated by them, and after seeing one of our club instructors flying one at our field, I have to admit, the T-Rex 450 looks like a great little heli...

I dont really like the counter rotating trainer heli's, as it really feels like a lot of dosh wasted on a learner heli, and after a lot of practice on pheonix, how hard can it really be?

OK, so I bet its a damn nightmare, but the complexity of them looks immense, like an engineering headache, but thats the part that draws me in a little too, stepping outside that zone of "I'm happy with what I already know" and into the territory of "What the heck do I do now"

Who else has a T-Rex 450? Whats it like overall and in detail to own/repair/fly/crash ????

Well I can honestly tell you its really scary when you finally summon the courage to lift this whirling beast off the ground. I have a T Rex 450 see the pictures attached. I go airplane flying with a friend of mine who used to fly proper helicopters and its his opinion that flying his big petrol driven heli is as difficult as landing a Gazelle on to a rolling destroyer. I am a real novice with the T Rex, I can lift it off the ground and hover it about in the garden but just cant get enough bottle to fly it proper. I can do it on the sim but up close in the flesh its very different. About hovering it is most unsteady when only an inch or two above the ground, when more than a foot in the air it doesn't seem to be so unstable. I bought my heli from a guy on Ebay and he had spent an absolute forture changing all the plastic bits on the head and rotor for anodised alloy parts. He said it cost him the best part of a grand including the transmitter which I took with a pinch of salt at first but after studying the contents of the box things like the Futaba gyro cost £140 so I guess he was probably right. I have the heli and a spare chassis as he swapped the original for a carbon fibre one and enough parts to build the original chassis back up.

post-7-034831600 1287129407_thumb.jpg

post-7-000479300 1287129428_thumb.jpg

I started out with a Twister model, then within 6 months I was learning to fly Trex 600's. I think once you have your head around what to expect from a stick movement, the 600 is easier to fly. It sits much more steadily in a wind - I have one of the newer breed of 450 Sport too, which is a massive leap from the V2 models. But you tend to fight a 450 more than a 500, that more than a 600 etc. I was offered a hover of someones 90 sized heli - it was rock solid - amazingly so. Thus the theory of 600's being easier to learn on.... or not (they can intimidate you).

Consider a Blade 400. Really good value and a great model - fully 3D capable if that's your thing. Parts are cheap and readily available, with many of the most vulnerable components being plastic. There are several thoughts on plastic components - if you're into 3D you may find the stiffer bits give you a faster response. But Alloy can bend just a little which can cause an inbalance and therefore vibration. On the other hand, plastic will either break or bend and spring back. That's what they say, anyway!

I'd look at a good simulator - great fun and the crashes are cheaper. Also see if anyone you know can buddy - box you. I used to pay someone to give me a couple of lessons on a buddy box - it probably saved me a lot of crashes. And using someone elses model was good.

Well, how much money do you want to spend? I got into helis after we had our little girl. No time to fly so i got an heli for the back garden. copterx 450, it has had that many crashes it is now all align and a hanger queen! I got pretty good - inverted and that but every time would push a bit to much and bang! I like the building/tinkering but not the cost. It now sits in my study and gets a hover every now and again but it looks great! Im back flying planes at least i can relax a bit when flying them!!

Joey

post-204-0-38743900-1298026438_thumb.jpg

Edited by joey

I have flown a 450 & find them scittish...much prefer the Mini Titan by thundertigre, so much more docile, but up the throws & its fully 3D, if 3D is your thing...but not for me, seen 1 doing 3D, you've seen them all :D

In my opinion, the 450 is on the edge of being too small to learn on. I had one, was quite twitchy. I sold it off and went with the very inexpensive blade MSR, and 120 sr to get the hang of flying, orientations, etc. They are almost coaxial like in the handling (but still much quicker response)and really help with confidence. I also fly the holy hell out of Realflight and Phoenix. Yes Trex 600 has $$ attached to it, but are much more stable for learning. Even the 500 is a big difference.