The RC Forums - Radio Control Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rich

Modelhelicopters.co.uk

Well folks, I've just had to order a set of training legs for my Twister 3D storm heli, and one of my fellow club members recommended to get them from Midland.. So, I clicked on the link he sent me, straight to the product, no problem, bought the legs, then realised I missed a few bits, called them on the phone and added 3 books to the order, given that I'm a rotary numpty, the guy said the books and everything should be with me tomorrow!!!

WOW :D

Ordered @ 2 in the afternoon, didnt get ripped off for postage, and should get the gear asap...

Now, I will say, this is in stark contrast to their website, because unfortunately, thats where the great stuff ended. I clicked on the "TINY" little link that says "home", way over on the wrong side of the website to where it should be, and am then presented with a page that looks like I have landed at an RC newspaper/magazine website..

Guys, if/when you read this, please dont take this the wrong way, but your website is visually the equivalent of an automatic only driver, going abroad and learning to drive on the wrong side of the road, in a manual... Everything is totally not where anybody expects to find it, and your making it very hard for people to get in, and just flow with the shopping experience. (I do have a lot of knowledge in website usability here too)

Try it for yourself, go to their homepage, and:

> see if you can figure out "How the heck do I get into the shop"??

> Work out where the shop went and all of its categories?

> Find an about us page to know who your buying from?

> Put somerthing in your basket and then go to pay for it, tell me do you FEEL like its a secure page?

(Regardless of what it says on the screen, people need visual clues, they look for visual things far more than they read things. If you have to write on your checkout page that the page is secure, and provide special instructions on how to even do that, then you have already gone very wrong)

If this were their high street store, the door would be disguised as a poster in the window and nothing would never be where you expect them to be, and the checkout would have a CCTV video camera watching you enter your chip/pin number, but with a small sticker on the back of it saying that its not broadcasting or recording.

Honestly guys, not going for the kill here, just trying to say that your website has a terrible amount of lost potential, and things to put people off buying anything, and other things to make it almost impossible to buy anything.

Is it a shop bolted onto a newsletter, or is the newsletter part of the shop, but shouting the loudest?

Oh, and the design too, it looks 30+yrs old, sorry :(

So, overall, the business, fantastic, as mail order goes, hopefully, it will be fantastic when my stuff arrives, but the website itself, is a mystery tour, an amateur effort by somebody with zero retail experience, and no knowledge of internet usage at all, or peoples expectations, unfortunately, because if the website matched the business, it could be freakin ACE!

Quite slow too, being hosted @ fasthosts :angry:

Well, I'm extremely pleased to say that true to their word, the books and heli training legs I ordered yesturday, arrived this morning! :D

Top service, very pleased with Midland indeed, just wish their website were easier to use, (I build websites for a living and it gives me a headache trying to use it)

Well done Midland on the pronto service, 5* guys...

Well, I'm extremely pleased to say that true to their word, the books and heli training legs I ordered yesturday, arrived this morning! :D

Top service, very pleased with Midland indeed, just wish their website were easier to use, (I build websites for a living and it gives me a headache trying to use it)

Well done Midland on the pronto service, 5* guys...

Just to update this thread Midland Heli's have a new web site much easier to navigate and with real time stock updates - the only downside I have found is that my previous orders and current orders have disappeared since the new web site setup - teething problems I guess but look at the new site - I think its ok

Ohhhh, now were talking, that is a LOT better, so much more "wow" and everything is where you expect to find it, allowing you to pay attention to what they are actually showing you rather than "How do i... or "Where on earth is..."

Well done guys, fantastic job.... Looks sooo much better, and easier on the eye, top job! Kudos..

Its nice and fast too, way better.. Will be back for a better look some time soon..

Sign in to follow this